First Baptist Christian School PTF Operating Guidelines
Established by the First Baptist Christian School PTF and Approved by the First Baptist Christian School and The First Baptist Church of Lafayette, Louisiana, Inc.
These guidelines are set forth to assist members of the FBCS PTF to conduct themselves in a manner that is in accordance with the beliefs and wishes of the First Baptist Christian School:
“For we are God’s workmanship created in Christ Jesus to do good works which God prepared in advance for us to do. Eph. 2:10
The purpose of the First Baptist Christian School PTF (FBCS-PTF) is to help foster an attitude of Christian fellowship between parents and staff members in order to set an example of leadership for the school and student body. As such, the PTF will conduct itself with the vision, objectives, and desires of FBCS. The actions of the FBCS-PTF shall be subject at all times to being in conformity with and supportive of the Rules, Regulations, and Requirements set forth in the First Baptist Christian School Student Handbook; the Employee and Teacher Handbook; The Requirements for Admission; Tuition and Fee Schedule and provisions thereof; and any other School and Church guidelines and requirements.
Any parent, guardian, or other adult standing in loco parentis for a student at the school may be a member of the FBCS-PTF and shall have voting rights. The principal and any teacher employed at the school may be a member and have voting rights. Members have one vote per household. Teacher members shall not be required to pay dues.
Dues will be established by the Advisory Committee. A member must have paid his or her dues at least fourteen (14) calendar days before any scheduled meeting to be held before he can be considered a member in good standing with voting rights.
Officers and Elections
The officers shall be a president, vice president, secretary, treasurer. In addition to the duties listed below, each officer will also perform other such duties as applicable to the office as prescribed by parliamentary procedures. President, vice president, and treasurer will be eligible to serve no longer than two (2) years, and the Secretary shall be eligible to serve for one (1) year and except for the Secretary they are required to be members in good standing of The First Baptist Church of Lafayette, Louisiana, Inc. All Officers will assume official duties, and will be expected to attend all PTF meetings
- President. The president shall:
– Preside over meetings of the PTF and Advisory Committee
– Serve as the primary contact for the principal
– Represent the PTF at meetings outside the organization, and serve as an ex officio member of all committees
– Coordinate the work of all the officers and committees so that the purpose of the PTF is served
– Author all Advisory Committee meeting agendas
– Author and distribute committee duties to the Advisory Committee.
– See that all decisions and resolutions of the Advisory Committee and PTF Committees are voted on, approved with a 2/3 vote of the members and carried into effect.
– Create the agendas for monthly meetings as well as coordinate the yearly calendar for all PTF and school events.
– Have signature authority for payment of PTF approved expenditures, if the Treasurer is unavailable.
– Maintain an annual PTF binder in a way that all committee records are present and can be used for future reference.
– Ensure all pertinent documents are saved in PTF online storage.
– Be a member in good standing of The First Baptist Church of Lafayette, Louisiana, Inc.
- Vice President. The vice president shall:
– Assist the president and carry out the president’s duties in his or her absence or inability to serve while learning from and preparing to take over the responsibilities of the President.
– Serve as the main contact for all fundraising and fellowship committee heads while overseeing and supporting each committee that falls into this category.
– This position requires membership in good standing at First Baptist Church of Lafayette
- Secretary. The Secretary shall:
– Keep the minutes and all attachments/supporting documents of the meetings of the officers, Advisory Committee, chairpersons and committees in one or more books and/or files provided for that purpose.
– Be custodian of the PTF’s records; record all votes taken at any such meeting; take and transcribe minutes of the proceedings of any such meetings.
– Send approved minutes to officers and upload to the PTF website or other form of electronic communication no later than one week after the meeting was held.
– Serve as the coordinator and main contact for the arrangement of all PTF meetings
– In general perform all duties incident to the office of secretary; and such duties as from time to time may be assigned to him or her by the president, or the Advisory Committee
– Preside at meetings of the PTF, officers, or Advisory Committee in the absence of the president and vice president.
– Author and distribute a monthly newsletter in order to communicate each month’s calendar of activities, goals and general information with the parents and teachers of FBCS
– Attend to any official correspondence of the PTF such as thank you and condolence cards.
– Serve as the PR person for the organization to include social media, print and any other form of communication about various PTF events, sponsorships and activities.
– At the expiration of his or her term deliver to the PTF all property and records of the organization.
– Maintain the secretary binder in a way that all organization and/or committee records are permanently kept and that the binder can be passed on to the next appointed officer.
– Ensure all pertinent documents are uploaded to PTF online storage.
- Treasurer. The treasurer shall:
– Receive all funds of the PTF, keep an accurate record of receipts and expenditures, and pay out funds in accordance with the approval of the Advisory Committee, but subject to The First Baptist Church of Lafayette, Louisiana, Inc., and the First Baptist Christian School final approval.
– Provide a monthly financial statement at every meeting and at other times of the year when requested by the Advisory Committee, as well as make a full report at the end of the year to The First Baptist Church of Lafayette, Inc. and the First Baptist Christian School.
– Collect yearly budgets in August to have ready for viewing by PTF officers prior to the September meeting to ensure voting is completed during that meeting.
– Reconcile monthly the checking and savings accounts. Provide an oral Treasurer’s report with a financial overview at every monthly meeting and email documents directly to the Advisory Committee of FBCS.
– Provide any requested and/or required accounting reports to FBCS and/or The First Baptist Church of Lafayette, Louisiana, Inc. accounting dept.
– Remove all monies from school grounds that needs to be counted and deposited into the PTF account.
– Run and maintain necessary software and accounting data back‑ups on an agreed upon schedule.
– Maintain the treasurer binder in a way that all records are current and that the binder can be passed on to the next appointed officer.
– Check the PTF mailbox weekly to pick up mail, and pass along any mail that goes to committee members and keep the box cleaned out. Notify committee members when they have forms to pick up.
– Be a member in good standing of The First Baptist Church of Lafayette, Louisiana, Inc.
Eligibility. Members are eligible for office if they are parents of a student at FBCS and meet all other requirements previously set forth. The Advisory Committee may exercise discretion in disqualifying any person from holding any position.
Nominations and Elections. Elections will be held the second to last meeting of the school year. The slate will be presented at the meeting held one month prior to the election. Voting shall be by voice vote if a slate is presented. If more than one person is running for an office, a ballot vote shall be taken.
Nominations for each office must be approved by the Advisory Committee before submitting the slate at the second to last meeting of the year.
The PTF Advisory Committee will approve all nominations no later than the Feb meeting.
The principal reserves the right to approve or discard any nomination.
Removal from office.Advisory Committee The Advisory Committee may remove Officers not adequately performing his job.
Vacancies. If there is a vacancy in the office of president, the vice president will become the president, at the next regularly scheduled meeting, a new vice president will be elected. If there is a vacancy in any other office, members will fill the vacancy through an election at the next regular meeting.
The regular meeting of the PTF shall be on the first Tuesday of every month, if it falls on a holiday, it will be moved to the next Tuesday.
Special meetings may be called by the president and any two members of the Advisory Committee, or five general members submitting a written request to the secretary. Previous notice of the special meeting shall be sent to the members at least 10 days prior to the meeting by letters home addressed or by electronic communication on the website and email.
The annual meeting will be held at the April regular meeting. The annual meeting is for receiving reports, electing officers, and conducting other business that should arise.
The secretary will notify the members of the meetings as above set forth at least one week prior to the meeting.
The Advisory Committee shall consist of the officers and the principal of the First Baptist Christian School and The First Baptist Church of Lafayette, Louisiana, Inc. Pastor or his designee persons. The First Baptist Christian School and the First Baptist Church of Lafayette, Inc. shall maintain the right, power and authority to remove from office the Advisory Committee of The First Baptist Christian School PTF.
The duties of the Advisory Committee shall be to transact business between meetings in preparation for the general meeting, create standing and temporary committees, prepare and submit a budget to the membership, approve routine bills, and prepare reports and recommendations to the membership.
The Advisory Committee shall meet once a month with the exception of the principal attending when he or she is available.
Membership. Committees may consist of general members and Advisory Committee members, with the president acting as an ex officio member of all committees.
Standing Committees. The following committees shall be held by the organization: Spring Gala, Prayer, Back to school BBQ, New Parent Mentor, Volunteer, Class Trip Coordinator
Additional Committees. The Advisory Committee may appoint additional committees as needed or remove unneeded committees.
A tentative budget shall be drafted in spring for the following school year approved by the Advisory Committee and approved at a fall meeting by a vote of members present.
The PTF President and Treasurer sign a signature card at the bank. The Treasurer is responsible for writing checks and depositing checks to all accounts as well as maintaining all the other duties of the Treasurer outlined in his/her duties.
The treasurer shall keep accurate records of any disbursements, income, and bank account information. All payments by PTF are subject to approval by First Baptist Christian School and The First Baptist Church of Lafayette, Louisiana, Inc.
The Advisory Committee shall approve all expenses of the organization, including any expenses outside of the budget that may arise.
The treasurer shall prepare a monthly financial statement as well as a statement at the end of the year, to be reviewed by the First Baptist Christian School and The First Baptist Church of Lafayette, Inc.
Two authorized signatures shall be required on each check over the amount of $200. Authorized signers shall be the president, treasurer and principal.
The fiscal year shall coordinate with the school fiscal year.
Upon the dissolution of the organization, any remaining funds should be used to pay any outstanding bills and remaining funds shall be returned to The First Baptist Church of Lafayette, Inc.
The PTF will maintain a minimum of $1,000 for operating expenses at all times.
These Guidelines may be amended when approved by the Advisory Committee a two‑thirds (2/3) vote when approved and/or ratified by the First Baptist Christian School and The First Baptist Church of Lafayette, Inc.